Thursday, February 23, 2006

WHAAA???

I occasionally check a blog that has a lot of interesting articles about married life, but today's post just about floored me!

The topic was raising our boys to be men and our women to be women. Which I'm okay with to a point, but people will be people, and that is an inevitable fact. Creating gender roles is not a good way for dealing with life.

Anyway, the post linked to an "insightful" (insightful? Good grief, do these people just get together and pat each other on the back for their ideas all the time?) post from the leader of a religious organization that shall, for the purposes of this post, remain anonymous.

The insight given in the post?

...This reminded me of a rule I want us to adopt for our blog. No smiley faces allowed! Real men do not use smiley faces on e-mails! This is fine for the ladies, but not the men. Real men communicate humor effectively without having to use a smiley face and real men can discern the presence of genuine humor without seeing a smiley face. So let our blog be free from all wimp-like communication!

Excuse me while I check my gender again and make sure I have landed in the *right* role...

:-)

;-)

:-P

:-D

5 comments:

Ashley said...

is that to suggest that women CAN'T communicate humor effectively without the use of a smiley face or discern the presence of genuine humor without seeing a smiley face?! I wonder what women laughed at before "they" (whoever they is) invented the smiley face icon thingy?!

Kelly Sauer said...

No kidding!

Anonymous said...

Oh give me a break!

Adding a smiley face doesn't mean you are hinting for people to laugh. It means "Here I am smiling since you can't see me."

Whatever.

A Scottish Whisper said...

whatevah floats yah boat, say aye. :~) (trademark Jomoe emoticon).

M. Hunsberger said...

:-D>

(Real men use smileys with facial hair)