Monday, April 30, 2007

Menus

I made a fun discovery last week.

I actually *can* still cook. And I still enjoy it! I ate only two meals last week that I didn't assemble myself, a sandwich I picked up at South Street Under on Thursday afternoon and a pasta dinner cooked by Pete on Thursday night.

I am trying to schedule my grocery shopping days for Monday mornings. Compared to the weekends I typically shop, the grocery stores are ghost towns! I enjoy pacing myself through the store with 3 1/2 hours to spare before I need to pick Pete up for lunch so he can have the car for the afternoon commute home. I save money, and I get to come up with fun, innovative ideas to knock his socks off! I am also learning to shop for two--not ten, as I would with my family when I was growing up.

Here is just a sampling of some recent menu items:

*London Broil with a red wine/garlic marinade, topped with fresh mozzarella cheese
*Beef stew in a (potatoless) vegetable broth and homemade white bread
*Cheesecake with a homemade blueberry/lime topping
*Marinated chicken, grilled outdoor style
*Corned beef Reubens with an italian dressing twist
*Fresh strawberries topped with a dash of sugar, a touch of lime juice, and a drizzle of half and half
*Strawberry/cantaloupe salad topped with sour cream

That's what I can remember at the moment. You see, I can post this, because I am finding myself very, very hungry recently. In fact, I am merely posting this before I head downstairs to begin dinner preparations. Because I am hungry again. And food is more important than I would have ever believed it could be.

YOU try gaining 28 pounds in six months!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hee hee. i want to make somethin when I come! can i have the kitchen for my chemistry lab? O:-) no little white rats, i promise.