Monday, October 31, 2005

Weekend Adventures

Question: What happens when a newly married couple has a house to finish moving into, a bunch of gifts to identify and acknowledge, and grocery shopping to do?

Answer: They skip town.

*grin*

Pete and I trekked into the Holy Land with the crusaders in "Kingdom of Heaven" on Friday night, skipped into the heaths of Wales for "The Return of the Native" on Saturday, and drove into the wilds of Charlotte, North Carolina on Sunday for Mexican. We had a very productive weekend.

First, unless you want to be bored for a non-historical fantasy, don't watch "Kingdom of Heaven." Although, I have to admit, this is the first time I've actually liked Orlando Bloom in a role. Pete and I think it might have something to do with the fact that he was virtually speechless.

Second, the "Return of the Native" is a very depressing movie. But Catherine Zeta-Jones plays her part very well. It's worth seeing, at least once.

Third, North Carolina was just an impulse. So was the hitchhiker we picked up. We took him down to Wytheville with instructions not to travel today because it was Halloween and "kids throw eggs and all kinds of stuff. I wouldn't want to be traveling tomorrow night." He was an interesting character.

We stopped in to see some friends at the B&B where Kate and I stay when I go down to the clinic in North Carolina. We had a delightful conversation, and then proceeded to a Mexican restaurant we found in January when we were all down there. Pete got the street tacos he'd been craving, and I enjoyed yet another chicken chimichanga. I found myself wishing I hadn't snacked quite so much on the drive down. I couldn't fit the food in!

Still, we had a really special time, just driving and talking. With everything that goes on in our lives, it's really easy to let go of the fact that we enjoy talking with one another about what is in our hearts. A sermon at church sparked the discussion, and we went from there into just about everything else. It's been a while since we talked like that, and it was so worth getting home at midnight.

The extra hour this morning was a God-send. I didn't have to get up for work when I normally do, and I was able to wake up in the sunlight again. That always helps.

Honeymoon pics and stories ARE coming--I just need to get them to the office to upload!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like fun!! ;-)
Love ya!
Megs