Monday, November 07, 2005

Colorado Memories


"And I would tell my children, 'Your mother has the wildness of the mountains in her spirit...'"

We were standing, holding each other, somewhere in the middle of nowhere, Colorado. On one of our many drives, we had stopped to visit the scenery (and use the outhouse) in Theodore Roosevelt National Forest. As the wind whipped through our hair and I huddled a bit closer to my husband for warmth, he began to share with me the beauty he sees in my heart. I will never forget that moment...

Pete took me to Colorado, the home of my heart, for our honeymoon. We had originally been planning a trip to Europe, but on Valentine's Day, Pete asked me if I wouldn't rather go to Colorado. Such a gift he gave! My first view of the mountains brought tears to my eyes--I didn't know how homesick I had been until I saw them, waiting for me with the red of the setting sun piercing through the blue and gray and green of the clouds resting on the peaks and drifting into the valleys.

We had arrived at the Denver airport in time to catch sight of the snow as we were flying in. While we were waiting for our shuttle, we enjoyed a rather...uh, lengthy kiss that caught the attention of some passers-by in the shuttle across the way. Pete kissed me to the tune of the whistles and hoots of encouragement! We were officially on our honeymoon, and didn't care if the world knew it!

We spent our days resting in the lodge at Estes Park or driving through the mountains--though Pete did cave and take me shopping a few times! I had my camera, and we were able to take a lot of pictures on our drives, a sampling of which I include below! We both agreed that it was the best trip either of us had ever taken--and it wasn't just because we were married, either! We watched lots and LOTS of movies together, but it was so nice to just rest!

So, without further ado, here is a little photo-journal of our trip!

The Happy Couple
(What can we say? We didn't spend time around people to get our picture taken together!!!)

Rocky Mountain National Park

*grin*

The Driver

Aspens

LONG, long ago, so the legend says, when Joseph and Mary and the Holy Babe fled out of Bethlehem into Egypt, they passed through the green wildwood. And flowers and trees and plants bent their heads in reverence. But the proud aspen held its head high and refused even to look at the Holy Babe. In vain the birds sang in the aspen's branches, entreating it to gaze for one moment at the wonderful One; the proud tree still held its head erect in scorn.

Then outspake Mary, his mother. "O aspen tree," she said, "why do you not gaze on the Holy Child? Why do you not bow your head? A star arose at his birth, angels sang his first lullaby, kings and shepherds came to the brightness of his rising; why, then, O aspen, do you refuse to honor your Lord and mine?"

But the aspen could not answer. A strange shivering passed through its stem and along its boughs, which set its leaves a-quivering. It trembled before the Holy Babe.

And so from age to age, even unto this day, the proud aspen shakes and shivers.

Me--STILL with my wedding pimple...

Colorado Elk: It was mating season... ;-)

Looking at me? Or the mountains?

The Hazards of Driveby Shooting...

Plains and Mountains and Sky

If I had my life to live over I'd like to make more mistakes next time. I'd relax. I would limber up. I would be sillier than I have been this trip. I would take fewer things seriously. I would take more chances. I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers. I would eat more ice cream and less beans. I would perhaps have more actual trouble, but I'd have fewer imaginary ones. You see, I'm one of those people who live sensibly and sanely hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I've had my moments, and if I had to do it over again, I'd have more of them. In fact, I'd try to have nothing else. Just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead of each day. I've been one of those persons who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a raincoat, and a parachute. If I had to do it again, I would travel lighter than I have. If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dances. I would ride more merry-go-rounds, I would pick more daisies. ~Nadine Stair

4 comments:

Nic Ridley said...

Beautiful narrative - beautiful pictures!

Anonymous said...

Well...they look happy, anyway.

Anonymous said...

you guys look like you had a blast!!!
Love ya!
Megs

Anonymous said...

Kelly:
I haven't gone on your blog for a while, and thought I would check out to see if you had wedding pictures up and sure enough there was! What gorgeous photos and my what a beautiful bride you were!! I hope to email you properly soon, but just thought I would post a comment to let you know that I haven't forgotten you!
Love ya!
Anne-Marie